Geographic Focus: United States primarily; grants are made internationally if so requested by a member of the board of directors.
Funding Categories: Grants range in size from $1,000.00 to $10,000.00.
Restrictions: Grants are made only to nonprofit organizations with tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code, or to organizations that have a sponsoring agency with this status. Please read the following restrictions carefully. You may not receive a response to your letter of interest if it describes a program or organization listed among these restricted areas. Use your time wisely: please feel free to call or email us before submitting a letter if you are unsure if your program is a good fit with our mission.
SFC does not consider grants to:
- Government agencies
- Public or private schools
- Art, music, or recreational programs, even if offered to disenfranchised groups
- Political organizations
- Religious organizations
- Medical research or disease treatment organizations
- Basic-needs programs (that exist to supply food or clothing)
- Single service programs such as individual counseling
Singing for Change does not use deadlines. Our two-stage application process is as follows:
FIRST STAGE: If you think your project fits our guidelines, please submit a one-page letter of interest describing your organization and your project to:
Judith Ranger Smith, Director
Singing for Change
P.O. Box 729
Sullivan's Island, SC 29482
Phone: 843.388.7730 Email: email@example.com
Letters of interest may be submitted at any time by email or USPS, and are reviewed on an ongoing basis. If you'd like to discuss your project prior to submitting a letter of interest to determine whether it fits our guidelines, please feel free to email us. Otherwise, you will be notified by card or phone whether your organization is being considered for funding.
If your request is selected for further consideration, you will be invited to submit a full proposal (see SECOND STAGE, below). No full grant proposals will be considered without the initial approval of an organization's letter of interest except by invitation from a board member or the Executive Director. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, Singing for Change cannot consider unsolicited, full proposals, so please wait for an invitation to submit one.
(Important! Please do not send additional materials with your letter of interest such as books or DVDs; they may not be reviewed or returned.)
SECOND STAGE: Please include the following specific information in your proposal. Electronic versions are preferred but not mandatory. The narrative portion of your proposal, or the description of the project to be funded, should be no longer than four pages. Please conserve when possible by using both sides of pages and avoiding plastic covers -- thank you!
- Mission statement and/or information on your organization's history and purpose
- Narrative description of the project to be funded, including:
- Whom it will serve or benefit
- Goals and objectives
- Timeline for completion of the entire project, including the portion SFC is being asked to fund
- The amount of funding requested
- Method of measuring the project's impact, and the three top measurable results you expect to accomplish if you receive this grant.
- 2 copies of IRS letter confirming your organization's 501(c)(3) status
- Itemized budget for the project if it is separate from your organization's budget
- Letter from a responsible officer of your organization, stating that:
- To his or her knowledge, the organization's nonprofit status has not been revoked;
- The proposed grant from SFC will not result in the loss of the organization's nonprofit status (that by funding this project, SFC will not become the organization's predominant source of support);
- The present operation of the organization and its income are consistent with its nonprofit status (that the organization's mission and funding sources are the same as when it received 501(c)(3) classification).
- Copies of audited financial statements for the last four years. If your organization was founded fewer than four years ago, please provide pertinent financial data showing your contribution base and program budget
You will be notified as soon as possible on the status of your proposal. Please do not call the office to check on this status unless it has been three months or longer since the proposal was submitted. If you have questions about these guidelines, please call or email us for help.